[mcclim-devel] file-browser example application

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at real-time.com
Fri Jan 5 22:22:04 UTC 2007

Andy Hefner wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at real-time.com> wrote:
>> I am attaching a patch which makes it work (if the patch about pathname
>> presentations, that I sent earlier today, is also present).
>
> Did you forget to attach the patch?

Argh.  Yes.  I *always* do that!  [I note that kmail actually scans your
email and if you say "attach" anywhere in it, and there's no attachment,
it prompts you before sending...].  I will attach here

>> The downside is that CL pathnames are so intractable that the only good
>> way I found to make this work was to use CL-FAD.
>
> I hate pathnames. Even for something as seemingly trivial as Show
> Directory in the listener, they turned into an unpredictable,
> unportable mess. I vowed not to use them as the primary representation
> in the event I ever get around to adding serious shell-like features
> to the listener.

Yes, unpredictable, unportable mess.  That's the original file-browser
in a nutshell...

>> BTW, I think a more elegant solution might be made that would use
>> satisfies to define the dir-pathname presentation-type more
>> declaratively.  But I couldn't figure out how to do it...
>
> Good idea. '(and pathname (satisfies my-directory-p)) doesn't do it?

Didn't for me, and I didn't have the foggiest idea how to debug it once
it didn't....  Probably there's some way to mouse over something on the
screen and figure out what kind of presentation it is?  [Garnet had an
integrated debugger for which I was often very grateful; I don't really
have a clue how to debug CLIM yet...]

Probably for someone who groks the relationship of presentation objects
and objects presented, this will be more obvious.  I tried
'(and pathname (satisfies cl-fad:directory-pathname-p)) and nothing
worked.  But perhaps I made some simple error.

BTW, the code itself is so short that I will attach it, as well.  Might
be easier to look at that than to read the patch.