[mcclim-devel] file-browser example application

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at real-time.com
Fri Jan 5 21:39:01 UTC 2007

The guided-tour has a test application that's a file-browser.  I wanted
to try to figure out how to read pathnames in an application I'm
writing, so I tried to fire up the file-browser.  Unfortunately,  it
didn't work, mostly because it made assumptions about the way that CL
pathnames work that didn't map onto either SBCL or ACL, the two
applications on which I tried it.

I am attaching a patch which makes it work (if the patch about pathname
presentations, that I sent earlier today, is also present).  I am
inclined to commit this, since (a) it's just part of an article, so
can't be on anyone's critical path and (b) it seems like a Bad Thing to
have a tutorial out there featuring exemplars that don't work.  The
downside is that CL pathnames are so intractable that the only good way
I found to make this work was to use CL-FAD.  Dependencies on libraries
seems generally like a bad thing in a small tutorial like this, but
importing enough code to make it work w/o the library would probably
obscure the tutorial intent even worse.

BTW, I think a more elegant solution might be made that would use
satisfies to define the dir-pathname presentation-type more
declaratively.  But I couldn't figure out how to do it...

best,
Robert