[mcclim-devel] window functions

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:13:17 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Bill Sauer <bill at volersystems.com> wrote:

> The CLIM user manual indicates that the following functions are available...
>
> (window-label window)

Interesting, this occurs in the Lispworks CLIM manual but not the ACL
CLIM manual (or the CLIM 2.0 spec). An equivalent expression might be
(and (typep window 'labelled-gadget-mixin) (gadget-label window)).

> (window-parent window)
> (window-children window)

Window-parent and window-children are identical to sheet-parent and
sheet-children. The ACL CLIM manual mentions these are provided for
compatibility with CLIM 1.1.

> (window-inside-height window)
> (window-inside-width window)

CLIM 2.0 (and McCLIM) provides pane-viewport-region, which allows you
do these things in a more general fashion by operations on the
rectangle representing the viewable region of a window, for example
(bounding-rectangle-width (pane-viewport-region window)) or
(with-bounding-rectangle* (x1 y1 x2 y2) (pane-viewport-region window)
...).

> These don't seem to exist in MCCLIM.  The question is are there plans to
> implement them in the future or are there other functions which replaced
> them.

I don't plan to implement them (despite the effort being roughly
equivalent to writing this email), but I wouldn't turn away a
reasonable patch.