[mcclim-devel] presentation example from docs

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Sat Feb 10 21:12:31 UTC 2007

Cyrus Harmon <ch-mcclim at bobobeach.com> writes:

> Granted this is a minor gripe but when I run the presentation example
> given in the manual, the manual says I should see that output "the 15
> or The third month" when I click on the shown objects. In fact I get
> "the 15 of THE". Is the manual in error or is something wrong here?

This is a bug that Goatee is able to handle, but Drei is not. It
happens due to the default present/accept methods for presentation
types (which is quite a kludge in itself) that just invokes print/read
on the objects and try to wing it that way. This works very poorly,
since the presentation of a string will then be "string", but that
can't be read in by the corresponding default accept method, because
it uses `read-token' to get the string, and that removes the quotes
(so it'll be interpreted as a symbol by the reader, but that won't
work well if the string has whitespace in it, this is why you only see
the first word, and in uppercase). Goatee is somehow able to detect
that the result of presenting the object to a string is not acceptable
back in, and thus puts in an "accept extent" (roughly, a reference to
the actual object that is returned instead of attempting to parse the
string). I don't quite know why Goatee detects it, it's probably an
accident. :-)

In any case, the central problem is accepting textual input of
presentation types that do not have accept methods. Bad, bad, bad.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen