[mcclim-devel] Patch for menu-choose.lisp

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 17:19:39 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, Troels Henriksen <athas at sigkill.dk> wrote:
> The current implementation of `menu-choose' lacks a fair bunch of
> spec-defined functionality (labels, some menu item types, scrollbars),
> and it often creates menus that are larger than the screen, or
> partially off-screen. This patch rectifies these problems - I have
> been running with it for 6+ months and it has worked perfectly, even
> though some of the code is not the prettiest in the world (my CLIM-fu
> has been weak). There should be no functionality regressions compared
> to the current version.

Sounds good, but I still think we should really get rid of
menu-choose.lisp at some point and reuse the implementation of menus
in menu.lisp, which is (was?) much more complete. It seems silly
maintaining two separate implementation of menus. It might be that
some of menu-choose.lisp never really goes away due to the need to
support menu-choose-from-drawer, but it is much lower level and does
not need to need to understand CLIM menu items anyway.

> I know that McCLIM is currently in a freeze period, but this patch has
> been lying on my harddrive for too long - others may find it useful,
> and I would like it to be cleaned up (if necessary) so it could be
> included in some future release. :-)

You raise an interesting question - is McCLIM still in freeze? I've
been proceeding as though it were not, as no one is actively working
toward preparing a release.