[mcclim-devel] clisp build issues

Scott Williams ortmage at gmx.net
Sun Jan 22 05:07:07 UTC 2006

Starting with CVS mcclim:

clisp -K full -x "(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-source-op :mcclim)"
.....[snip].....
*** - MAKE-PATHNAME: illegal :NAME argument "Experimental/menu-choose"

This seems to be related to ASDF. If I modify mcclim.asd by removing the
slash in the filenames:
-     (:file "Experimental/menu-choose" .....
+     (:file "Experimental.menu-choose" .......
-     (:file "Goatee/presentation-history" ......
+     (:file "Goatee.presentation-history" ......
-     (:file "Looks/pixie" ......
+     (:file "Looks.pixie" ......

I have no idea what the kosher way to fix this is. Any ideas?

I can get all the way to:
*** - READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
#P"/home/scottw/.asdf/site/mcclim/Backends/CLX/port.lisp" @1048>: there
is no package with name "EXTERNAL-FORMAT"

where mcclim wants external-format::ascii-code-to-font-index which is
defined medium.lisp. However, mcclim.asd says medium.lisp depends on
port.lisp. I'm not quite sure what the right way to resolve this is? In
the mean time, in the debugger, I can create the package and the function:
Break 1 CLIM-CLX[8]> (make-package "EXTERNAL-FORMAT")
Break 1 CLIM-CLX[8]> (defun ascii-code-to-font-index (code)
  (values code (<= #x00 code #x7f)))
Break 1 CLIM-CLX[8]> (export 'ascii-code-to-font-index 'external-format)

and redoing the read operation with the redo restart. This allows the
*** - READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
#P"/home/scottw/.asdf/site/mcclim/Backends/CLX/port.lisp" @1394>:
#<PACKAGE XLIB> has no external symbol with name "SET-SELECTION-OWNER"

which is a clisp packaging error i fixed by exporting (export
'xlib::set-selection-owner 'xlib) and redoing the read (I'll pass this
on to the clisp maintainers). Then the loading of mcclim is complete!
Moving on to the examples.
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-source-op :clim-examples)
completes successfully. But the first example:
[4]> (clim-demo::calculator)
*** - XLIB:DRAW-GLYPHS: NIL is not of type XLIB:FONT
The following restarts are available:
ABORT          :R1      ABORT
Break 1 [5]> :w
EVAL frame for form
(XLIB:DRAW-GLYPHS CLIM-CLX::MIRROR CLIM-CLX::GC CLIM-CLX::X CLIM-CLX::Y
STRING :START CLIM-CLX::START :END CLIM-CLX::END :SIZE 16 :TRANSLATE
 #'CLIM-CLX::TRANSLATE)

The stack trace is long, but the last recognizable function I can see is
(CLIM:MEDIUM-DRAW-TEXT* CLIM:MEDIUM STRING CLIM:POINT-X CLIM:POINT-Y
CLIM-INTERNALS::START CLIM-INTERNALS::END CLIM-INTERNALS::ALIGN-X
 CLIM-INTERNALS::ALIGN-Y CLIM-INTERNALS::TOWARD-X
CLIM-INTERNALS::TOWARD-Y CLIM-INTERNALS::TRANSFORM-GLYPHS)

Ok, this is where I'm stuck. I don't know much about mcclim, where
should I start hunting down this "nil" being passed to xlib:draw-glyphs?
I'd be happy to provide more detail where needed.

--
Scott