[mcclim-devel] issues (bug?) with with-tab-layout in beirc

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:44:13 UTC 2006

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

You want to use 'find-pane-named' rather than 'get-frame-pane'. Per
the CLIM spec, get-frame-pane only searches for stream panes, whereas
find-pane-named will search all panes, including gadgets. (I
personally disagree with this design, but I didn't write the spec.)

I took a quick look at how the tab-layout-pane is implemented. It is
comprised of two pieces: a stream pane implementing the tabs
themselves (the 'tab-bar-pane'), and a layout pane derived from
vrack-pane (a gadget) containing the tab-bar-pane and the panes being
managed. The with-tab-layout macro assigns the name to the layout pane
rather than the tab-bar-pane (rightly, since we want to name the
highest member of the hierarchy), so get-frame-pane ignores it. This
is certainly the correct behavior, but the behavior of get-frame-pane
is unfortunate.