[mcclim-devel] question about curves and formatting graphs

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Thu May 26 19:00:45 UTC 2005

    PA> rpgoldman at real-time.com writes:
    >> It was interesting to me that the grapher Paolo pointed to last time
    >> did NOT use format-graph-from-roots.  I don't know whether this was

    PA> In my reading of CLIM literature and code, I don't remember running
    PA> across the use of format-graph-from-roots for dynamic graphs.

    >> BTW, on a dual SMP 3G with 1G of RAM last night, I tried to layout a
    >> graph with approx 5K nodes, and McCLIM went into GC thrashing and took
    >> the lisp process down (which I take to be an accomplishment).  I hope

    PA> Can you try evaluating this form at the CLIM Listener?

    PA>   (time (clim-listener::com-show-class-subclasses t))

    PA> I don't know how many nodes the generated graph contains, but there
    PA> are many.  It takes under a second on my 2.8 GHz Pentium IV machine
    PA> with 2 GB of RAM.

Well, that was very fast for me, too:

CL-USER(9): (clim-listener:run-listener)
; cpu time (non-gc) 1,100 msec user, 10 msec system
; cpu time (gc)     340 msec user, 0 msec system
; cpu time (total)  1,440 msec user, 10 msec system
; real time  1,446 msec
; space allocation:
;  297,880 cons cells, 12,937,112 other bytes, 0 static bytes

I will check and see what's up with my MDP's state space that makes it
go out to lunch.

Sorry to be so dilatory.  Travel and the resulting email avalanche to
handle are going to keep me slow investigating this.