[mcclim-devel] incremental redisplay and with-first-quadrant-coordinates

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Wed Jun 29 15:41:03 UTC 2005

    RS> rpgoldman at real-time.com writes:
    >> I find it hard to think of an ability to draw curved lines as an
    >> extension.  I think it should be in the core of any modern GUI
    >> toolkit.  Especially since it's going to be tempting to use
    >> curve-drawing in higher level facilities (e.g. in drawing graph
    >> edges).
    >>
    >> Adding this seems like a big win, and adding it as an extension only
    >> seems like a lose, because for portability one would have to provide a
    >> straight-line alternative to anything that involves curves.  Not a
    >> happy solution, IMHO.

    RS> You do have to think about consequences to output recording,
    RS> specifically testing whether two regions overlap, etc.

I didn't mean to suggest that I thought adding something like Bezier
curves would be easy (or that I would be competent to do it)!  Just
that because (1) it's at such a low level of the abstraction hierarchy
and (2) it would be hard to provide alternatives in portable code, it
should not be an extension, but rather a core component.