[mcclim-devel] incremental redisplay and with-first-quadrant-coordinates

Duncan Rose duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 08:09:23 UTC 2005

On Monday, June 27, 2005, at 02:30  pm, Robert Strandh wrote:

> Actually, I think it is time to give McCLIM a major overhaul, though I
> am not convinced anybody has the time.

I agree with this; at the very least, I think it needs a thorough
review,
and notes taken where the implementation disagrees with, or extends, the
spec.

I don't know how many annotations there are on the annotatable spec but
I'm sure plenty of things didn't make it onto that document (it was out
of
order for a while).

> Such an overhaul would start by correcting and supplementing the
> specification where it is wrong and/or incomplete.  We might call the
> document obtained this way the CLIM 2.2 specification.  It would be
> much more precise than the CLIM 2.0 specification, and we would make
> sure as much as possible that it does not have any contradictions.

Don't both Lispworks and Franz already have 'CLIM 2.2'? Neither of which
agree by the way (either with each other, or in several places, with the
spec, for those methods (the vast majority) that are listed in the
spec).

Do we need to take the vendor CLIMs into account at all?

I'm currently putting together a document comparing the methods in the
spec, the different user guides, and as implemented in McCLIM but it's
slow going. Perhaps it will be useful one day.

-Duncan