[mcclim-devel] question about CLIM spec [format-graph-from-roots]

Duncan Rose duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 17:21:05 UTC 2005

On Monday, July 18, 2005, at 08:13  pm, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> AFAICT, the CLIM spec doesn't say anything about what are the
> acceptable values for the DUPLICATE-TEST argument to
> FORMAT-GRAPH-FROM-ROOTS (although it does specify that the default
> value is EQL).  This seems very unfortunate.  If we were to be limited

It says that it is a '...function of two arguments that is used to
compare two objects...'
I think any function of two arguments that can be used to compare two
objects should be ok.

> to the conventional equality test values, then we would be able to use
> a hash-table to store the graph nodes.  However, if the spec permits
> arbitrary functions of two arguments, that seems to make use of
> hash-tables impossible.  Am I overlooking something?  Is this a
> deficiency in the spec?

I don't understand what the benefit of using hashtables to store the
nodes is. That said, it seems to me that whilst the spec permits
arbitrary functions of two arguments, any specific node type will need
a particular DUPLICATE-TEST function... or am I missing the point of
the question totally?

-Duncan