[mcclim-devel] asdf-install ready mcclim.asd

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Mon Jan 31 18:01:44 UTC 2005

Andreas Fuchs <asf at boinkor.net> writes:

> I spent the last day hacking the McCLIM system definition.
>
> My goals were:
>
>   * Adding real dependency information for files, to improve the
>     McCLIM user experience (it's notorious for its long compile cycles
>     after a cvs up)
[...]
> The .asd file at <URL:http://boinkor.net/lisp/mcclim.asd> is the
> result. (Not attached because common-lisp.net doesn't allow .asd files
[...]
> working. After a change to setf-star.lisp, ASDF now recompiles 6 files
> instead of 20. (-:

I tried doing fresh--i.e. with no previous fasl files--builds from
source with both the McCLIM stock system definition in system.lisp,
and yours in mcclim.asd.  In the former case I evaluated:

  (time (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :clim-clx-user))

with the following results:

; Evaluation took:
;   105.52 seconds of real time
;   98.77198 seconds of user run time
;   5.588151 seconds of system run time
;   295,305,900,480 CPU cycles
;   [Run times include 17.97 seconds GC run time]
;   76 page faults and
;   2,846,968,944 bytes consed.
;
NIL

With your system definition I did two fresh builds:

  (time (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :mcclim))

with these results:

; Evaluation took:
;   114.92 seconds of real time
;   107.795616 seconds of user run time
;   6.215055 seconds of system run time
;   321,613,490,332 CPU cycles
;   [Run times include 19.19 seconds GC run time]
;   0 page faults and
;   2,926,042,568 bytes consed.
;
NIL

; Evaluation took:
;   105.63 seconds of real time
;   100.02179 seconds of user run time
;   5.436173 seconds of system run time
;   295,608,660,228 CPU cycles
;   [Run times include 18.29 seconds GC run time]
;   0 page faults and
;   2,927,419,672 bytes consed.
;
NIL

I use the latest McCLIM CVS sources with CMUCL Snapshot 2005-01 under
Slackware Linux 10.0, running on a 2.8 GHz Pentium IV with 2 GB of
RAM.

Paolo
--
Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log