[mcclim-devel] Running McCLIM and CL-SDL together: is it possible?

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Sat Jan 8 13:19:23 UTC 2005

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:

> Is it possible to run a McCLIM and a CL-SDL (cl-sdl.sourceforge.net)
> application within the same Lisp image?
>
> When I try this with CMUCL, only the CL-SDL application runs and the
> McCLIM one--say, the CLIM Listener--is frozen, i.e. the window is not
> refreshed and does not process input events.  Things do not change if
> I start the CLIM Listener with :new-process t.

I have been suggested (thanks David!) that, given CMUCL's cooperative
multiprocessing model, the CL-SDL application thread and the Listener
thread may not be yielding regularly.  So, in the file
examples/2d-test.lisp of the CL-SDL distribution, I tried adding a
call to MP:PROCESS-YIELD as the last expression in the LAMBDA of
MAKE-UPDATE-FN.

This way both the CL-SDL demo and the Listener can run at the same
time.  CPU usage is over 99% even with just the demo, but OpenGL
applications are quite demanding.

Cool.

Paolo