[mcclim-devel] Black art

Craig Lanning lanning at scra.org
Thu Apr 28 18:26:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:53 -0700, C Y wrote:
> I think what it comes down to is there simply is no beginner level
> guide written (or even tutorial that I can find) which says "here's how
> to create an application."  Because, at root level, that's what new
> developers are asking - I have an interface in my head, how do build it
> and I get it to run?

This will go a long way in getting people to switch.

I've already started working on just such a guide.  My current working
document (mostly notes and an outline) is in OpenOffice.org format.  If
there is interest in adding the document to McCLIM I'd be happy to
convert it to another format.

> One suggestion I do have is an extension of the requests to include the
> file-selector as a component in McCLIM - create a library of "standard
> interface components" that people can quickly bolt together, and then
> they will have only to define the tricky, application specific parts of
> the code.  Thinks like menu bars, file-selectors, tabbed windows,
> scrollable windows, status bars, slidable controllers, button palettes,
> example configuration dialogs, etc. would be really nice to have
> available as bolt on components.  These would also form a very good
> basis for a graphical UI designer ala glade or QT Designer.  For each
> of these, a sort of mini API can be defined, and how they are
> implimented internally can change without bothering user code.  This is
> probably way beyond the CLIM spec, but it would be an excellent way to
> lower the barrier of entry.  And as people create new components, if
> appropriate they can be added to the available library until it's only
> a special case presentation like a spreadsheet grid or a mathematical
> document or an image editing display/interaction that would need to be
> custom written - most of the rest of the graphical components could be
> gotten from "standard" or even previous custom objects contributed to
> the library.

>   And a graphical CLIM interface builder could possibly go
> a long way towards helping people create "correct" code or at least
> avoid errors.

I built one of these more than 10 years ago.  I'll dust off the code and
post it to the list in the next few days.  (It probably needs updating
since I haven't looked at it in at least 5 years.)

Craig