[mcclim-devel] Black art

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 17:53:05 UTC 2005

I think what it comes down to is there simply is no beginner level
guide written (or even tutorial that I can find) which says "here's how
to create an application."  Because, at root level, that's what new
developers are asking - I have an interface in my head, how do build it
and I get it to run?

One suggestion I do have is an extension of the requests to include the
file-selector as a component in McCLIM - create a library of "standard
interface components" that people can quickly bolt together, and then
they will have only to define the tricky, application specific parts of
the code.  Thinks like menu bars, file-selectors, tabbed windows,
scrollable windows, status bars, slidable controllers, button palettes,
example configuration dialogs, etc. would be really nice to have
available as bolt on components.  These would also form a very good
basis for a graphical UI designer ala glade or QT Designer.  For each
of these, a sort of mini API can be defined, and how they are
implimented internally can change without bothering user code.  This is
probably way beyond the CLIM spec, but it would be an excellent way to
lower the barrier of entry.  And as people create new components, if
appropriate they can be added to the available library until it's only
a special case presentation like a spreadsheet grid or a mathematical
document or an image editing display/interaction that would need to be
custom written - most of the rest of the graphical components could be
gotten from "standard" or even previous custom objects contributed to
the library.  And a graphical CLIM interface builder could possibly go
a long way towards helping people create "correct" code or at least
avoid errors.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

CY