[mcclim-devel] question about behavior of describe

rpgoldman at sift.info rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Apr 5 16:54:15 UTC 2005

    RS> The previous default behavior was removed because not every
    RS> application wanted it (it was a rather implementation-oriented
    RS> feature).

I apologize if this is another dumb question, but wouldn't it be
reasonable to allow McCLIM programmers to choose whether or not they
want the old default behavior by encapsulating it in a command-table,
and allowing the programmer to decide whether or not that behavior is
what s/he wants?

Possibly there would also have to be a presentation type defined that
we could adopt as a mixin in order to get this default behavior from a
mouse click.

I'm probably just whining --- that old default behavior + graphing
(format-graph-from-roots) was all I wanted for a debugger app, and now
it seems like a fairly substantial amount of programming + grokking
CLIM is required to recover what I used to get in about 30 loc....

One thing that still puzzles me is that there seems to be some
"Describe" functionality still there, but it doesn't seem happy with
ordinary presentations.  Indeed, I can't get it to work at all (at
least on ACL 6.2).  Nothing I seem to type into the prompt box
(including simple integers) does anything I recognize when I press
Exit.