[mac-lisp-ide] Portable Hemlock and questions

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Fri Jul 23 04:48:28 UTC 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:52 PM, mikel evins wrote:

> I have a new version of Clotho on the table, based on a new version of
> Bosco that I did a month or so ago, and I plan sometime 'soon' to try
> merging your Hemlock sources into it.
>
> But I'm kind of in the same boat as you regarding time to do it. If
> people are patient enough, I'll eventually get it done. If they
> aren't, well, I'm always glad for other people to do the work I was
> going to do.

Well, my present status is that I am beginning to work through
"Learning Carbon" with Xcode and Interface Builder 2.4.2 (from Xcode
1.2 CD).  I'm as far along as chapter 9 in Keene's CLOS book without
having actually tried any CLOS out.

I was under the impression that OpenMCL's Cocoa support was in flux.
What is the status of that?  I'm mainly going for Carbon because it
seems more stable.  Also, I plan to try and incorporate OpenGL and
QuickTime in my programming (some time in the future) and they both
have C APIs as Carbon does.  Otherwise, Cocoa is not a problem for me.
I have a tutorial book on that also that I have not worked through.
Like Learning Carbon, it assumes Project Builder rather than Xcode and
an older version of Interface Builder.

So I am in a catch up mode for some indefinite period of time.  I was
fairly sure that someone would be using Hemlock code in part as part of
a Mac Lisp IDE.  Doing an editor from scratch seems hard.

I also still have to learn about Lisp's error handling system.  Other
than that, I am confident that I can handle CS 101 sort of stuff in
Lisp.

If there is no wish list yet, can I add integration with Interface
Builder near the top?  I think for its part, Xcode does necessary code
generation and Interface Builder is simply another program that it
starts up.  I'm not aware of any IPC going on.  Anyway, wrapping
Interface Builder Services with the appropriate reusable code seems
like the clear way to go.  It could even be used in the IDE.