[mac-lisp-ide] Whither CLIM/Cocoa?

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Sun Feb 29 23:40:21 UTC 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 10:24 AM, Duncan Rose wrote:

> There is a private CVS repo at the moment. I guess there are a couple
> of options for making it available:
>
> 1. Find a CVS server that provides anon access for downloads
> 2. Post a (source) snapshot somewhere
> 3. Post a binary snapshot somewhere (according to Finder on my Mac,
> that would be 24MB give or take a few k)
>
> It's not really in a state where it makes sense to move into the main
> McCLIM repo (or maybe it does) and the build process is non-standard
> (from a McCLIM point of view) due to dealing with bundles and all that
> stuff so we'll have to write some docs (bah, I wanted to write a
> Concordia clone before doing that ;-).
>
> Maybe Mikel has some ideas in this area (he has significantly more
> experience of distribution than I) so hopefully he'll pitch in to the
> discussion.

Right now, Duncan and I are working from a McCLIM source snapshot from
a couple weeks back, exported, and checked into a private repository
that I'm hosting. I merged in a recent copy of Bosco and then Duncan
and I merged our code into that project, turning it into the current
McCLIM/Cocoa project that Duncan previously decribed.  I'd say that, on
the one hand, the current state of the code is more annoying than
anything else, but, on the other hand, thanks largely to Duncan's
yeoman efforts, the McCLIM Listener on Cocoa really is a good stretch
of the way toward working properly.

It's not our intention to fork the code; it lives in a separate cvs
repository right now largely because no one on the McCLIM list answered
my queries about checking it in there. :-)

I don't mind sharing the code right now, but people should be aware
that it'll take work to get it running. If you want to just check it
out and go then you probably shouldn't bother right now. On the other
hand, I'm willing to package a snapshot if people are keen enough to do
the work to get it running, and especially if it's likely to get more
people hacking on the code.

Of course, we really ought to check it into the main McCLIM repo soon,
especially if people other than Duncan and me are going to hack on the
code.

Let me know if you just can't wait to get it; if there are people in
that state of anticipation then I'll package it up.

--me