[mac-lisp-ide] Re: ideas and issues

Brian Mastenbrook bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
Sun Feb 1 17:07:13 UTC 2004

On Feb 1, 2004, at 11:58 AM, mikel evins wrote:

> It also seems like we're not that far from having a good start on a
> CLIM-based IDE if we can get the Listener and Goatee up and limping.

This sounds great! Right now it looks like Goatee is kind of a
bare-minimum solution; since gilberth is involved in hemlock too, the
idea was that hemlock would eventually take over as the the McCLIM
editor, leaving goatee for line editing.

If in fact Hemlock becomes the best solution for a native Cocoa editor,
is there any reason why we can't simply integrate it into a Cocoa
McCLIM? That sounds like a way that the two projects could share a
significant base of code.

> I posted separately that I've packaged a 0.1 release of Clotho. Seems
> like that's two places to start. I don't see any reason we can't
> pursue both (and others as well) until it becomes clear that either
> one is a better idea than the other, or that each has its own use.

I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be a place for the two to
coexist: CLIM for people working on a good (and quite possibly
platform-independent) CLIM-model IDE, and Cocoa for those people who
want a very Cocoa-ish development environment. There's no law against
code sharing when we can :-)

Hopefully even a native Cocoa IDE will be able to load CLIM too, so
people can use it for writing CLIM programs.
--
Brian Mastenbrook
bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
http://cs.indiana.edu/~bmastenb/