[ltk-user] why MAKE-INSTANCE not exported

Peter Herth herth at peter-herth.de
Mon Jun 27 07:43:55 UTC 2011

Hi Matus,

the common lisp package system is indeed a bit confusing at the
beginning. Took me years to really master the details of it.
In doubt, restart your lisp session to get a clean environment. The
fail-safe environment is having your code in your own package and set
up like this:

(in-package :cl-user)
(defpackage :my-package-name
  (:use :common-lisp :ltk)
  (:export
     #:my-function))

(in-package :my-package-name)

(defun my-function ()
   ...)

in this case you should be able to just use (make-instance 'frame ...)
as frame is imported from the LTk package. If you are not using the
LTk package you can alwas access its symbols with the package prefix,
here ltk:frame.
If you get any error, please paste the exact error message into the
mail, this sometimes helps with debugging :)

Peter