[ltk-user] Getting up and running problem on W32 + sbcl

Evans H Winner III thorne at unm.edu
Fri May 21 06:11:10 UTC 2010

Hi.  I have successfully gotten ltk's test programs and
hello programs (from the manual) working on an MS Windows
XP system using slime and clisp.  On the same system,
however, I am running into a problem with the Windows port
of sbcl.  I am not sure if this is expected or not, and I
am at a loss about how to debug the problem, just getting
started with it as I am.  The debugger output from slime
is below (with some Windows ^M linebreaks edited out).
 The wish shell does appear, and a graphical debugger
window appears asking if I "wish to invoke the debugger"
appears.

Interestingly, if I set *break-on-signals* to t, the
result is that it breaks earlier, telling me that there is
no package :fly.  I don't know if this is relevant...
looking at the code it looks like it shouldn't be asking
about that unless swank isn't loaded -- which it is.
 Anyway, perhaps the nature of the problem will be obvious
to one of you.  (lisp-implementation-version) => 1.0.37.
 It was 1.0.32, but I tried upgrading to the latest before
asking here.  Thanks for any pointers.  --Evans

   (FORMATTER grid ~a -row ~a -column ~a~@[ -columnspan
~a~]~@[ -ipadx ~a~]~
              ~@[ -ipady ~a~]~@[ -padx ~a~]~@[ -pady
~a~]~@[ -rowspan ~a~]~
              ~@[ -sticky ~(~a~)~])
Compile-time error:
   (in macroexpansion of (FORMATTER "grid ~a -row ~a
-column ~a~@[ -columnspan ~a~]~@[ -ipadx ~a~]~
              ~@[ -ipady ~a~]~@[ -padx ~a~]~@[ -pady
~a~]~@[ -rowspan ~a~]~
(hint: For more precise location, try *BREAK-ON-SIGNALS*.)
error in FORMAT: unknown directive (character: Return)
   grid ~a -row ~a -column ~a~@[ -columnspan ~a~]~@[
-ipadx ~a~]~
              ~@[ -ipady ~a~]~@[ -padx ~a~]~@[ -pady
~a~]~@[ -rowspan ~a~]~
              ~@[ -sticky ~(~a~)~]

   ^
    [Condition of type SB-INT:COMPILED-PROGRAM-ERROR]