[ltk-user] text widget, tk8.5

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Sun Sep 17 10:04:17 UTC 2006

 Peter> Hello Jan,
 >> I have two questions. One -- it seems that support for text widget
 >> commands is very limited. Will anyone be working on that? (as an
 >> example, there is no "tag add", "tag delete", "tag remove", "tag
 >> lower", etc.).

 Peter> In general I consider Ltk as supporting all Tk features - so if
 Peter> something escaped me, it is because I overlooked it and never
 Peter> tried to use it. So pointing out those points certainly helps in
 Peter> getting them added :).

Ok -- what I need is basically the full functionality of the text
widget, including tag, mark and (later) image support. For the moment
the most important thing is the range of tag commands:

pathName tag option ?arg arg ...?

    pathName tag add tagName index1 ?index2 index1 index2 ...?
    pathName tag bind tagName ?sequence? ?script?
    pathName tag cget tagName option
    pathName tag configure tagName ?option? ?value? ?option value ...?
    pathName tag delete tagName ?tagName ...?
    pathName tag lower tagName ?belowThis?
    pathName tag names ?index?
    pathName tag nextrange tagName index1 ?index2?
    pathName tag prevrange tagName index1 ?index2?
    pathName tag raise tagName ?aboveThis?
    pathName tag ranges tagName
    pathName tag remove tagName index1 ?index2 index1 index2 ...

I think only bind and configure are implemented at this time.

Later on, I'll need most of the other text widget commands as listed at
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/TkCmd/text.htm

 >> Two -- is tk8.5 support planned? I'm afraid I'll have to use 8.5
 >> because of a much better text widget (cursor keys finally work as
 >> expected). I tried just running things with wish8.5, but there are
 >> errors.

 Peter> Sure, I am also looking forward to all improvements to the Tk
 Peter> engine, so I definitely plan to stay along with the
 Peter> progress. Ltk *should* run in 8.5 out of the box (as far as I
 Peter> expect Tk 8.5 to be backwards compatible), but again, if you
 Peter> encounter errors, please post them so I can have a look into
 Peter> fixing them.

Encouragement helps -- I double checked and the errors I was getting
were the result of trying to use ltk-tile with tk8.5a4. After I removed
tile, things seem to work fine!

thanks,
--J.