[ltk-user] Beginners question

Nicolas Neuss neuss at math.uka.de
Fri Oct 27 20:58:14 UTC 2006

Hello LTK users,

As a complete GUI programming newbie I wanted to try LTK, but immediately
have several questions:

1. Are there any example programs using LTK?

2. I don't know anything about Tk, unfortunately.  Is there some tutorial
   to GUI programming with Tk?

3. My current goal is to have a small window which displays a new random
   number whenever I press a button.  I thought about using
   message/textvariable in the following code snippet:

(defun zufallszahl ()
  (with-ltk ()
    (let* ((x "0")
       (f (make-instance 'frame))
       (text (make-instance 'message :text x :width 100))
       (button (make-instance 'button
                  :master f
                  :text "Next"
                  :command (lambda ()
                     (setq x (format nil "~D" (random 10)))))))
      (pack f)
      (pack text :side :top)
      (pack button :side :bottom)
      (configure f :borderwidth 3)
      (configure f :relief :sunken)
      )))

Unfortunately, (make-instance 'message :textvariable x :width 100) does not
work.  Is this a bug?

4. How can I put the message above the button?  I tried several
   combinations of :side XXX, none did achieve it.

5. How can I change the text of the message into something larger?

Thank you very much for any hints,

Nicolas