[ltk-user] ltk examples

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 17:34:56 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Bernhard Graf <bgraf at adartis.de> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> yes, the only demo for ltk is in fact the spinning lines demo. Demo's like
> the one you provide for your Celtk or Cells-TK would be really great for
> ltk.
> The reason why I use ltk is simply that I want to do it on my PowerBook
> and Cells and everything related to it seem only be supported on Linux and
> Windows.

Nope. :)

Or has anyone got it working on a Mac as well, either on openMCL or SBCL ?

Yep. :)  I had the whole thing working on OpenMCL a while back (when it was
atop Freeglut) and someone helping now is running it on OS X via SBCL.

I am also stuck again with my ltk trials. I know that e.g. "entry" delivers
> its content as text and this can be used with (text entry_variable) It seems
> to come from a tktextvariable, according to the source in ltk.lisp.
> I was able to display a slider (scale), but I have no idea on how to get
> its current value. What type is it ? Which method needs to be used to get it
> ?
> If only these informations were given in the ltk documentation, it would
> be really helpful. Unfortunately, the source seems to be the only
> documentation. Nice for Lisp geeks, but problematic for people like me ;-)

I think one meta-help I can give you is to take something like your scale
issue and look it up on the tcl/tk site itself. I used the ActiveTcl page
itself:

   http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActiveTcl/8.4/at.pkg_index.html

Find out how a tcl user would get the scale value and work backwards,
searching the Ltk source for whatever that is. Hang on -- had a flash -- it
might even be that the path to the scale is the variable you read (going on
some memory, some common sense) so you just need to fo the LTk to read the
variable .this.that.my-scale

Back to my meta-help, I think the LTk doc itself does recommend using Tcl/Tk
doc in conjunction with LTk examples/doc/source. Kind of a delicat balancing
act where you have to guess if you have a Lisp, LTk, or Tk issue.

> PS : I heard that you are designing a math tutorial software for kids. If
> you ever need someone to translate it to German, give me a call ;-)

OK. I almost wrote "the whole shebang" earlier, then backed off because of
the slanginess. Know that one? :)

kt