[local-time-devel] exporting 'date and 'time from the local-time package

dherring at tentpost.com dherring at tentpost.com
Mon Nov 2 17:30:56 UTC 2009

Attila Lendvai wrote:

> what we need is a shared 'date and 'time symbol between all our libs.

What's wrong with using the fully-qualified symbol local-time:date?

> although exporting time will conflict with cl:time, but i still think
> that this is The Right Way(tm). rationale:
>
>  - cl:time is the wrong name, it should be
> with-resource-usage-statistics or whatever el...
>  - local-time will eventually provide date/time abstractions, at least
> in a form of (typep foo 'time) using a type with satisfies

What do time or date mean?  CL:time is perfectly normal ("time an event"),
except for the other nonstandard cruft which was added (but compare the
unix command).  As data structures, neither has a universal canonical
form.

If these names are to be exported, I think they should be given more
specific names.

- Daniel