[lispy-devel] Great project! Thanks

Matthew Kennedy mkennedy at common-lisp.net
Tue Mar 11 20:30:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Ivan Toshkov <ivan at toshkov.org> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
>  Thanks for the great project!  I think, that version tracking is quite
>  hard and interesting problem, which for some reason is almost ignored
>  in the Lisp world.  And thank you for your previous work on Gentoo
>  (which is still my preferred distribution).
>
>  I just wanted to mention, that the "Mapping Guide" link points back to
>  the main site.
>
>  Also, do you think Lispy can be used to generate gentoo ebuilds?  From
>  what I saw, I think, that it gives the dependency/version information
>  and depends on ASDF for everything else.  So, it seems, that I'll need
>  ASDF -> ebuild translator, which can use Lispy maps for better
>  dependency handling.

Thanks!

I haven't been able to write a Mapping Guide for the project yet.  I
should probably make that URL text to avoid confusion until it's done.

Yes, you should be able to generate Gentoo ebuilds from Lispy.
Everything you need is in the map.  The only issue is Gentoo/Debian
use symlinks from /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/ into
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/... and then add only
/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/ to asdf:*central-registry*.

You can probably take two approaches with that:

1. With the Lispy map, parse :asdf-paths and create similar symlinks
2. Maintain an ASDF configuration file like Lispy's own
asdf-config.lisp (IIRC, the ebuilds in Gentoo for Emacs take a similar
approach).

If you go the second way you might want an
/etc/lispy.d/NNpackagename.lisp-expr installed for each generated
package installed.  Each might contain the :asdf-paths which you would
concatenate into, for example, /etc/lispy.lisp.

Matt