[lisp-game-dev] Announcing Blackthorn 3D, a new game engine for Common Lisp

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 16:25:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Bill Robinson <airbaggins at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just thought I should throw my 2p in. I haven't done the general
> introduction of myself on this list here when it was more fashionable a few
> months ago, but I have been working on a networking library (Zoetrope) for
> lag compensation the last 6 months when I've had time. It's in a mostly
> workable state now.

Can you give us an idea (or point me to a README or something) of what
features it has specifically?

Here's a video (my first ever screencast, when I get round to making
> another, I'm sure it will be better)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyph7SN71qs
>
> The demo app there was written with gl-glfw-* but it's independent of it.
> Zoetrope dependencies are just ironclad and CFFI.

Is it independent of something like usocket? I'm just wondering what impact
this has on portability. Usocket as it is has enough trouble with
portability; I've had plenty of trouble making everything work as intended
on all OS/compiler combinations. I can see the advantage of going for CFFI
and doing the bindings yourself, but the cost is more testing required to
verify that everything works.

I have a publicly accessible repository at
> http://git.wvr.me.uk/?p=zoetrope.git

Thanks for sharing. Not sure if I'll use it, but I'll definitely keep an eye
out. :-)

Liking the look of blackthorn. :)