[lisp-game-dev] [FLGC09] Review and commentary period

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 06:39:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Erik Winkels <aerique at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Elliott Slaughter wrote:
> >
> > One thing that frustrates me about the AI is how it has a tendency to
> > fly off screen when dodging bullets. I'd like to figure out a way to
> > keep the enemies on screen at all times, but I'm somewhat at a loss for
> > how to do this without allowing enemies to get stuck in the corners of
> > the screen.
>
> I haven't played your game so this could be nonsense but you could make
> the screen wrap around.  So an enemy going off the screen on the right
> would reappear on the left side.

I wasn't really planning on playing the game on a torus, although I suppose
that could work. But most scrolling shooters I've seen play on a
non-wrapping field.

I was thinking more of adding a more advanced AI (i.e. one that actually
tries to attack you instead of just dodging bullets). I'm not really sure
what the right direction is, but I think I might try playing around with
Markov decision processes.

Thanks for the input.

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict
the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay