[lisp-game-dev] Hi all

Erik Winkels aerique at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 10 10:03:07 UTC 2009

I just noticed this mailinglist in #lispgames' topic, so I ran to the
sign-up form.

So a minor introduction: I'm a 35-year old guy from a nice little town
called Delft in The Netherlands.  It's in-between Rotterdam and The
Hague.  I've got a girlfriend, a 3-year old kid and a second one
scheduled for the 30th of December.  I've also got a full-time job
maintaining some legacy software (rather that than Java) in The Hague.
All that combined leaves little time for Lisp hacking so if you're
wondering why my projects progress so slowly (or why I take a long time
to reply to an e-mail): here's why :-)

CL and games have always seemed a good combination to me and I started
with cl-sdl in 2001[1].  Although after Matthew Danish took over I think
they switched to some Finnish guy's code.  AFAIK it is not maintained
anymore and you're better off with Lispbuilder-SDL.  (This is in reply
to an earlier message I saw in this list's archives.)

Currently my main project is Okra[2] which are CL bindings to the
Ogre[3] 3D engine (which is just a rendering engine, not a game
engine!).  Ogre has been getting popular lately and there are several
commercial games released using it, off the top of my head: Torchlight,
Zombie Driver and Sacraboar.

While you'll often see me ask questions about Windows on #lisp or
complaining about it on my blog, I actually hate the OS with a passion
and my main development environment is and always has been Unix.

That's about it.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/23202754c9ce78dd/2d7d775010c4a5c8
[2] http://common-lisp.net/project/okra/
[3] http://www.ogre3d.org/