[lisp-game-dev] [FLGC09] My compo entry: XIOBREAK

David O'Toole dto1138 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 06:11:53 UTC 2009

I didn't achieve as much as I'd like within the 7-day time limit, but here
is my entry. It's called XIOBREAK, and like some of the other entries I've
heard about, it's a Breakout clone. My spin on the genre involves changing
colors and sounds. When blocks break, small particles of light and sound are
randomly triggered to create changing "synaesthesia bursts" sort of like in
the Sega game Rez. The animations and music also change depending on one of
three distinct visual themes: "plasma", "psi", and "chi". The chi theme
features a vocal sample of my friend Ari Charbonneau, processed and
re-triggered to create a chorus of distant voices. A decent PC is
recommended. There is a bug that prevents you from winning, so if you break
all the blocks (or get bored with the theme) press escape and the
colors/theme will be changed.

Keyboard and joystick control are provided. If you use a joystick, just mash
around till you figure it out, otherwise follow the onscreen keyboard
instructions.

After the compo is over I'd like to add things to XIOBREAK and fix its many
bugs, but I'll leave it untouched in its 7-day state for now, so that others
can complete their entries.

Libraries used:
  LISPBUILDER-SDL
  XE2 Game Engine http://dto.github.com/notebook/xe2-reference.html