[linedit-devel] Apparent bug in linedit

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Nov 16 18:30:01 UTC 2011

On 16 November 2011 18:20, Paul Walker <linedit-devel at blacksun.org.uk>

> I'm trying to use SBCL under SLIME, and I get the following error when I
> start it:
>
> Linedit version 0.17.5 [dumb mode]
>
> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial thread"

The short version: You cannot use linedit together with Slime -- and
there's really no point in doing so.

In your .sbclrc you probably have the lines

  (ql:quickload "linedit")
  (linedit:install-repl :wrap-current t)

or the equivalent. Replace that with

(when (interactive-stream-p *standard-input*)
  (ql:quickload "linedit")
  (funcall (intern "INSTALL-REPL" :linedit) :wrap-current t))

and the repl should be activated when you run SBCL terminal, but not
when Slime starts it.

If you've dumped a core with linedit preloaded, the same applies --
but don't call INSTALL-REPL before saving the core.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus