[lift-devel] test suite names and packages

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Sun Feb 4 23:40:02 UTC 2007

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for looking at lift. The "force everything into the LIFT
package" thing was a conscious decision. It was also, I think, the
_wrong_ one. At the time, it made it easier to run tests from
different packages. Unfortunately, it also makes organizing tests in
different packages more difficult because of the name-space munging.
I almost made the same mistake in log5.

Thanks also for your patch; I was just contemplating fixing the code
myself.

I will look into applying it later tonight or tomorrow.

Please let me know what you like and dislike about LIFT (perhaps
especially where it doesn't feel right) because this is the best way
for me to improve it.

thanks again,

On Feb 4, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Stefan Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> lift currently interns all test suite names in the lift
> package. What is the rationale behind this? Was this a
> conscious design decision or incidentally?
>
> Currently, if I have package TEST-A with test suite FOO:
>
>   (in-package "TEST-A")
>
>   (deftestsuite foo () ...)
>
> and package TEST-B also with test suite FOO:
>
>   (in-package "TEST-B")
>
>   (deftestsuite foo () ...)
>
> the second definition redefines the first, because both
> are interned as LIFT::FOO. This runs somewhat counter to
> the package system. Intuiton, based on defclass, would
> tell me it should define the suites named TEST-A::FOO and
> TEST-B::FOO, peacefully coexisting.
>
> Note that I have hardly used lift. I'm currently evaluating
> test frameworks, so perhaps I'm missing something crucial.
>
> Anyway, the attached patch would change lift so that
> test suite names and test names are not interned in the lift
> package, making deftestsuite behave more like defclass
> wrt to packages and allowing suites with the same name
> in different packages to coexist.
>
> The format control ~A in list-tests is changed to ~S
> so that package names are printed to disambiguate where
> necessary.
>
> It also changes the three tests that checked that test
> names are interned in the lift package.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan
> <packages.diff>