[SPAM] [kpax-devel] Miscellanous issues

Sven Van Caekenberghe scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net
Fri Jul 13 09:58:47 UTC 2007

Maciej,

On 04 Jul 2007, at 16:25, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

> in this mail I detail a couple of issues I had with KPAX during my
> use of it:
>
> 1) Problems with SLIME, at least under SBCL. You can't run (run-kpax
> :server-class 's-http-server) from SLIME's REPL buffer, because it'll
> fail to process the request. I wasn't able to track the exact source
> of the problem, but it seems it's an issue with SLIME hijacking some
> streams. If you run it directly in *inferior-lisp* buffer (just that
> one call is sufficient, everything else can be done in REPL), it runs
> fine. It's not a huge problem once you discover that, but it ought to
> be mentioned somewhere, as trying to figure out why it doesn't work is
> really frustrating.
>
> 2) Can't stop S-HTTP-SERVER
> CHAMSTER> (stop-kpax :server-class 's-http-server)
>
> ==>
>
> The value
>  (("s-http-server"
>    #<SB-BSD-SOCKETS:INET-SOCKET descriptor 7 {A8DF539}>
>    #<SB-IMPL::HANDLER INPUT on descriptor 7: #>))
> is not of type
>  SB-THREAD:THREAD.
>   [Condition of type TYPE-ERROR]

My primary development environment is LispWorks for Mac OS X,
my primary deployment environment is LispWorks for Linux TTY.
I do not work very often with SBCL or Emacs+SLIME.
I wasn't aware of these issues, I might have a look at them later on.

> 3) HTTP response codes handling is limited and rather weird. Why are
> there separate and identical handlers for s-http-server and mod_lisp?
> Also, it's impossible  to use arbitrary response codes, and I happened
> to need 302 which was not included. I fixed that by defining my own
> copy of kpax::response-status-to-s-http-server-status, but in general
> it should just allow an arbitrary (code . message) response besides
> the predefined keyword ones

You are right: in retrospect that mechanism looks a bit out dated:
I'll consider adding a arbitrary response mechanism like you suggested.