[kpax-devel] kpax slow?

Sven Van Caekenberghe scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net
Tue Sep 26 11:51:41 UTC 2006

On 26 Sep 2006, at 13:07, Damir Horvat wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've just re-typed reddit.lisp from the movie. After adding few links,
> modding them up & down, web site became slow, unresponsive.
>
> While web page looked busy, lisp session (Cmucl 19c on FreeBSD 6.0)
> did
> not get any input until 3-4 minutes passed. After that, all works
> normal - no errors.
>
> Also, this behaviour is not constant. Sometimes all works normaly fast
> and sometimes slow. Lisp process is always about 60 megs of RAM.
>
> I suspected DNS but localhost resolves ok. I'm new here, so I could
> use
> any help.

Damir,

I have not really been using CMUCL the last couple of years.
I did, several years ago, and I did experience similar problems.
The key problem has to do with multithreading and stream IO,
the main code that is different or special for CMUCL is in S-SYSDEPS.
KPAX depends on S-SYSDEPS and S-HTTP-SERVER.
I am afraid that I can't help you in debugging the problems with CMUCL.
And if you are a beginning Lisp programmer, you won't find a solution
yourself.
Maybe you could try the LispWorks Personal Edition ?

HTH,

Sven