[iterate-devel] iterate package source code server

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Fri Nov 12 12:56:19 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-11, Joerg-Cyril Hoehle <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com>
wrote:
> it's a great idea to put valuable but old packages from the AI
> repository or whereever to an open source server on the net!

It's even better to continue developing it, I think. (-:

> I've done several changes that I'll release soon, but there are are
> a few points I'd like to discuss before:
>
> o Participation: GNUArch to me sounds like yet another CVS
>   system. It causes me overhead as I have to install yet anoter SW
>   on the PC.
>
> CVS, subversions, GNUArch, where will it end?
> Is that really necessary?

Hm, I hope it will end with a system that's acceptable to all! (-:

Seriously though, there are a few reasons for my choosing arch over
CVS or subversion, but I don't think this is the right forum to
discuss them. However, if it turns out that this choice is
unacceptable for people who want to further iterate development, we
should look for alternatives.

If using arch is not an option for you, I will gladly accept unified
diffs against release tarballs, for now.

> o "to quote or not to quote" -- see separate e-mail.
>
> Here's a list of changes which I've done so far:
> o minor CL optimizations: consp, pop, export, declaim
> o for in-package(s) evaluates package(s) argument
> o for in-package(s) works as generator
> o for in-hashtable usable as generator
> o for in-hashtable supports destructuring
> o for in-packages was broken because of 'pkgs
> symbol-types are not evaluated in with-package-iterator
> and must not be empty => consp
> o (for vars DO-NEXT) now binds vars
> o use dsetq instead of destructuring-bind for consistency of
>   templates
> + (code-char 0) is portable, #\nul or #\null is not
> + use #:start/beginning to (hopefully) work with Allegro modern style
> + tiny changes to manual
>
> o added more testcases

Ooh! Great stuff (good catch on code-char, too)! Looks like you've
done a lot of work, there. I would very much like to see the changes
you made.

> Planned: support (dsetq (values x nil y) (foo)) to ignore second
> value

That would be nice, too. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with dsetq
as I'd like. So, any help would be much appreciated (-:

> Regards,
> 	Jörg Höhle.

Cheers,
--