[iolib-devel] crash with the current iolib

Aycan iRiCAN aycan.irican at core.gen.tr
Mon Jun 4 10:04:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

First I want to thank you for your great effort. I tried to stress the
current iolib. Attached is a simple HTTP reply generator. I used sbcl
1.0.5 VM on a 32 bit AMD desktop machine. I used siege with lot's of
concurrent connections. Here is the first inspection:

This is my stupid test server with current iolib (with a small content
size).

aycan at zen ~ $ siege -b -c10 -t5S http://localhost:8001/
** siege 2.61
** Preparing 10 concurrent users for battle.
The server is now under siege...
Lifting the server siege..      done.
Transactions:                   6996 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                   4.86 secs
Data transferred:             615648 bytes
Response time:                  0.01 secs
Transaction rate:            1439.51 trans/sec
Throughput:                126676.54 bytes/sec
Concurrency:                    9.53
Successful transactions:        6996
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            4.25
Shortest transaction:           0.00

I got 1490 transactions per second. The performance is great (I got
around 500 trans/sec with a threaded version) but when I repeat the
test, SBCL crashes silently and eats all my cpu. I don't get any errors
or some output. Also the :timeout parameter to add-fd should not be nil
by default, if so I got type errors with lengthy content sizes.

Here is the same siege parameters applied to *apache-tomcat-6-0-13* (the
content size is around 7600 bytes):

aycan at zen ~ $ siege -b -c100 -t5S http://localhost:8080/
** siege 2.61
** Preparing 100 concurrent users for battle.
The server is now under siege...
Lifting the server siege..      done.
Transactions:                  16083 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                   6.71 secs
Data transferred:          118274382 bytes
Response time:                  0.00 secs
Transaction rate:            2396.87 trans/sec
Throughput:              17626584.40 bytes/sec
Concurrency:                   10.63
Successful transactions:       16083
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            4.18
Shortest transaction:           0.00

Is it possible to outperform java io performance?

--
aycan

--
Aycan iRiCAN