[imp-hackers] cl-ext:exit

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Jun 25 08:49:53 UTC 2009

2009/6/25 Peter Seibel <peter at gigamonkeys.com>:

>> clocc/src/port/ext.lisp:quit has been around for 10+ years.
>
> I don't want to put words into Nikodemus's mouth, but isn't the
> question not whether there's a way to write a portable library but
> whether the implementations themselves could provide a (de facto)
> standard way of doing something like quitting, out of the box?

Exactly. Making a portable EXIT is trivial and uninteresting -- not to
disparage PORT's ext.lisp, just stating the obvious.

Making implementors (that's us!) provide a compatible one is
technically just as trivial as well, but not quite as easy; herding
cats is traditionally considered tricky, so how hard is it for cats to
herd themselves? I remain an optimist.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus