[imp-hackers] cl-ext:exit

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Thu Jun 25 04:41:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Sam Steingold<sds at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Nikodemus
> Siivola<nikodemus at random-state.net> wrote:
> \> Since we are all very out of practice in cross-implementation chatter,
>> I was thinking to break the ice with CL-EXT:EXIT.
>>
>> It is downright embarrassing that there is no shared way to do
>> something as basic as exit a CL program. Every implemention that I
>> know of provides an operation to do it: some call it QUIT, some call
>> it EXIT, and the arguments vary wildly -- but it's always there. To my
>> mind it would make an excellent point to look for a consensus, and
>> maybe even agree on a package (CL-EXT?) where it could be found.
>
> clocc/src/port/ext.lisp:quit has been around for 10+ years.

I don't want to put words into Nikodemus's mouth, but isn't the
question not whether there's a way to write a portable library but
whether the implementations themselves could provide a (de facto)
standard way of doing something like quitting, out of the box?

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel
http://www.codersatwork.com/