[Gsll-devel] Find gsl automatically

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Sun May 23 02:22:22 UTC 2010

Leo,

This looks suspiciously like pkg-config, which I have found to be
wrong for ordinary Debian package installs.  So what happens if
gsl-config isn't found or is wrong?  Does it fail to install GSLL?

If we're going to call out for something, how about "locate"? It
always seems to work for me.

locate /libgsl.so.0

/home/liam/mathematics/gsl-1.11/.libs/libgsl.so.0
/home/liam/mathematics/gsl-1.11/.libs/libgsl.so.0.12.0
/usr/lib/libgsl.so.0
/usr/lib/libgsl.so.0.12.0
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/lib/libgsl.so.0
/var/chroot/sid-ia32/usr/lib/libgsl.so.0.13.0

Then we have the problem of which one to choose, which is the
preferred one?  Maybe we could sort this by the preference rules
similar to what Mirko gave (say /home first, /usr/local second,
/usr/lib third -- but what if you just use your home dir for a build
area and don't want it included, as I do?).

Does this work for everyone (at least on unix-like systems)? For that
matter, for those of you that have multiple GSL libraries, does
gsl-config get all of them, and in your preferred order?

As you can tell, I'm quite leery of changing anything in the include
or library paths, based on my experience that anytime anything is
changed, some platform/os/implementation gets left out in the cold.
Given that I can only test the ones I have, I have to wait for someone
to complain, and that may be quite a while.

Liam