[Gsll-devel] Introducing "Grid Structured Data"

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Sun Jan 10 14:28:48 UTC 2010

The timing is unfortunate; I started on GSD a while ago, once
I re-discovered Tamas's AFFI, and was wrapping it up when he
announced xarray.  I have looked over xarray to figure out what
we have in common, but not in depth.  I think any help from
interested/energetic/knowledgeable volunteers who could help
figure out a merge strategy would be most welcome in this area.

One of the things I did to integrate GSD with GSLL was to pull out the
foreign-array access as the system "c-array", with type conversion
between languages.  This was motivated by the work of a colleague, who
essentially tore off pieces of GSLL in order to make a port to a
robotics library in C++, and who had requested certain array
construction features in GSLL.  Now it should be easier to built an
interface to a new library, and I hope eventually to smoothly change
array objects to make them compatible with different libraries.
Unfortunately I haven't had the time I thought I would in January to
pursue this, but there is certainly much more work to be done in this
area.  I pushed to the GSLL master branch because that all worked as
before, and GSD are usable.

I think all of our goals are basically the same.
Per Tamas's points:
1 - Exactly the same, present in GSD "grid" now
2 - Not yet in GSD, but that is the goal as I say
3 - Not there; would be nice to integrate with GSL's views
    as we have discussed
4 - Present in GSD; see "compose.lisp".  Perhaps not all everyone
    is looking for, but with some thought and knowledge of AFFI,
    they're not too hard to write.

The general function to make most of the array composition functions
possible is map-grid and map-n-grids.  One thing I would like to have
but isn't there is reduction over an axis, as for instance with dot
product and matrix multiplication.  Also, I would like to be able to
treat a scalar as a grid but that isn't possible yet.

Liam