[Gsll-devel] GSLL utility development

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Sat Oct 17 13:47:10 UTC 2009

I have checked in my start at array utilities which have been moldering
around for a few weeks.   They are in linear-algebra/matrix-generation.lisp.
I wrote them so that I could generate matrices and vectors for the linear
algebra tests which I added last month, but generalized somewhat based
on a colleague's experience using GSLL in robotics.  I still need to
fold in Malcolm's and other ideas, so I've not exported the symbols, but
they should be usable with a double colon.

My discussion with Sikander (and ntd, fe[nl]ix, rtoym) was very helpful.
He suggested that the array handling of numpy be emulated.  Based on
his description, it sounds like a good model, but I'm not familiar with
it.  If anyone on the list is, I'd appreciate a quick synopsis and/or pointer
to same.

I unfortunately didn't get Sikander's real name/email.  He started the
conversation by asking about what CL packages were available for
linear algebra.  He wasn't aware of GSLL but had used GSL in C quite
a bit.  By the time the conversation had ended, he had whipped up
and tested a simulation using Runge-Kutta that had taken him hours
in C.  He was very impressed that it took him only 5 minutes in GSLL
(while chatting on IRC).  I invited him to join this mailing list and post
his experiences but he had quit the room by the time I suggested
it, unfortunately.

If you wish to see the discussion, look at
http://tunes.org/~nef/logs/lisp/09.10.15
starting at 15:25:11

Liam