[Gsll-devel] GSLL utility development

Malcolm Reynolds malcolm.reynolds at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 12:37:58 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've exchanged a few emails with Liam about trying to add some
functionality to GSLL that goes beyond what is found in GSL, to try
and make a more useful overall platform for working with Matrices and
Vectors. My personal aim is to make CL a viable alternative to MATLAB
which in my field (Machine Learning / Computer Vision) is a de facto
standard for quickly messing around with data. I plan to use GSLL for
as much of my work as I can, and when I end up having to write any
general utilities, try to get them into the main codebase. Liam said
there was some related chat on #lisp so it seems sensible to take our
discussion to the mailing list where maybe more people will have ideas
/ want to contribute.

My current efforts to this end are found in
http://github.com/malcolmreynolds/GSLL - look in the branch
malcolm-utils and then the utils/ directory. Nothing earthshaking,
just some matrix looping macros and concatenation functions, but I
plan to continue adding things here.

I apologise in advance for my code, I'm still pretty new to CL, so if
you read something and say 'ewww', please tell me how I could do it
better! Hopefully at some point this will be incorporated into the
main GSLL tree, but for the time being I'll continue hacking on this
as and when I think of something I should add. Ideas welcome!

Cheers,

Malcolm