[Gsll-devel] cffi-grovel

Malcolm Reynolds malcolm.reynolds at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 16:16:53 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,

One option you do have is to acquire asdf-install, which should
automagically setup all the dependencies for you. I tend to think it's
a better idea to do things manually though, especially when you're
starting out, because then you get a better grasp of how things work.
I was in your position (new to doing any serious work in common lisp
and new to gsll and asdf) only a few months ago, and I think the time
setting up asdf and installing stuff manually was time well spent.

To address your specific problem, are all the libraries you're working
with at their latest versions? I don't bother getting tarballs any
more, I found pretty much every library I've been interested in has a
publically accessible repository for either darcs, git, svn or
something similar. Get fresh pulls of at least gsll and cffi, delete
any .fasl files you might have kicking around, and try again.

I think you are right about cffi-grovel now being integrated into cffi
- I have a relatively fresh setup that I put together when I
recompiled sbcl a few weeks ago, and I have no .asd file for
cffi-grovel and indeed if I try and do (asdf:operate asdf:load-op
:cffi-grovel) I get an error that the component cannot be found.

Hope this helps,

Malcolm