[Gsll-devel] cffi-grovel

Jim jim_garrett at comcast.net
Sun Aug 9 15:52:47 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this list.  I've just installed gsll and I'm
very much looking forward to using it for numeric programming in Common
Lisp.  Thanks in advance for gsll!

However, I can't seem to get it going.  I'm somewhat new to Common Lisp,
and very new to asdf.  And I find that much Common Lisp documentation
attempts to be so general that it is mostly useful for people who
already know the answers.  I suspect I am missing something very simple,
and has nothing to do with gsll so much as setting up packages in Common
Lisp.  Nevertheless, I'm not sure whom to ask.

I'm running SBCL with SLIME under Ubuntu 8.10.  I followed the gsll
installation instructions under "With Debian or Ubuntu", and had no
apparent errors.  I started SLIME and entered "(asdf:operate
'asdf:load-op :gsll)" and obtained the error "component "cffi-grovel"
not found".

It appears that I do have cffi, and all the information I can find about
cffi-grovel indicates that it is now integrated with cffi.  So I can't
add a package but I can't seem to use what I have.  What should I do?

Once again, please keep in mind that I am just a beginner regarding asdf
and cffi.

Thank you!

Jim Garrett
Baltimore, Maryland, USA