[Gsll-devel] gsl_linalg_exponential_ss

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Wed Jul 23 15:16:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Tamas K Papp <tpapp at princeton.edu> wrote:
> Hi Liam,
>
> Is there a binding for gsl_linalg_exponential_ss (that calculates the
> exponential of a matrix?)  I could not find one.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

Hi Tamas,

No.  I'm trying to figure out the reason for this, and the big one I
can see is that I don't see it in the GSL documentation.  It shows up
in my /usr/include/gsl/gsl_linalg.h and in /usr/lib/libgsl.so.   It's
possible that it was introduced since GSL 1.8, which is where my
porting started.  One of my long-term goals is to have an accounting
of the port status of every symbol in the library so that I'll catch
gaps and new functions like this.  In the meantime, it shouldn't be
hard to make a binding, straightforward use of defmfun I think.

BTW that paper of Moler and Van Loan is a classic and was recently updated
Cleve B. Moler and Charles F. Van Loan. Nineteen dubious ways to
compute the exponential of a
   matrix, twenty-five years later. SIAM Rev., 45(1):3–49, 2003.

Liam