[Gsll-devel] What is needed to fix matrix views?

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Wed Apr 9 23:19:00 UTC 2008

Zach,

To tell you the truth, I never looked closely enough at views to
figure what it would take to make them work.  It may be trivial, or it
may be impossible.

>From what you say, it sounds like it might be possible to write an
implementation-specific layer that would support views, for some
implementation.  One thing to keep in mind is that I am rewriting what
I call "data" (matrix, vectors, etc.) to use Tamas Papp's
foreign-friendly arrays.  On SBCL, this will mean that the CL array
and the C array will be one and the same (no copying).   So it may be
worth holding off implementing any plan for enabling views, though
certainly researching it and thinking about it is worthwhile.

Liam