[gsharp-devel] ties

Robert STRANDH strandh at labri.fr
Fri Mar 26 10:42:23 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes writes:
 > > I am not sure I understand this case.
 >
 > ascii art rendition:
 >
 >      |                   |\   |                    |
 >      |                   |\   |                    |
 >      |                   |    |                    |
 >     O                   @    O                    O
 >      \_________________/ \__/ \__________________/

Nice picture!

 > My claim is that I think the bottom of the middle, short, tie in this
 > example might be prettier if it is aligned with the bottom of the
 > outer ties.

quite possibly so.  There are essentially only two solutions:

  * either allow for very wide "small" ties, i.e. ties that fit
    between two staff lines.  Such ties will be fairly straight.

  * or else allow for a very narrow "large" ties, i.e. ties that span
    a staff line.  Such a tie will look more like a fermata than a
    tie.

Both solutions are probably acceptable.  The first one will require
small ties to be infinitely extended like I planned to do with small
ties.  The second solution will require additional glyphs for narrow
large ties.

Bonne journée,
--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C