[gsharp-devel] Lyrics!

Robert STRANDH strandh at labri.fr
Wed Mar 10 07:41:26 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes writes:
 > I guess I would (profile "CLIMI" "GSHARP"), and see what hotspots that
 > reveals with the workload you describe (refreshing the score 10 times,
 > say).  If you know the entry points to computation and drawing, then
 > profiling just those functions would be worthwhile (time and space
 > costs of their unprofiled callees is respectively tallied under the
 > profiled callers).

Some initial results:

  * it is definitely drawing (as opposed to computing the score) that
    takes time.  This is good news, because time will not increase
    with the size of the score.

  * it seems to be the lowest-level drawing routines that take time,
    like draw-notehead, draw-ledger-line, draw-left-stem, etc.

  * creating output records does not seem to represent a
    disproportionate amount of time, so it is the medium-draw-xxx
    routines it seems.

Either I find a common routine that all medium-draw-xxx ultimately
call (such as with-drawing-options) that I can speed up or avoid
altogether, or else I need to consider drawing only the part of the
page that actually changes (using incremental redisplay, I guess).

--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C