[gsharp-devel] Lyrics!

Robert STRANDH strandh at labri.fr
Wed Mar 10 07:03:01 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes writes:
 > I think there are some basic rules that get you 90% of the way there:
 >   * align the middle of the syllable with the cluster...
 >   * ... except for the first word of a sentence, which should align
 >     the first letter with the cluster...
 >   * ... and the last word, which aligns the full stop.
 > I think that's one convention, anyway.

I think you are right.  Manual offset should probably be with respect
to this default.

 > I guess I would (profile "CLIMI" "GSHARP"), and see what hotspots that
 > reveals with the workload you describe (refreshing the score 10 times,
 > say).  If you know the entry points to computation and drawing, then
 > profiling just those functions would be worthwhile (time and space
 > costs of their unprofiled callees is respectively tallied under the
 > profiled callers).

Thanks.  That was the information I was missing.  I started off by
profiling every function in these packages, which gave me a result
that was very hard to interpret, probably because the profiling
overhead was considerable.  I did not know that time includes
unprofiled callees.  The strategy, then, would be to start, as you
point out, with the top two functions and then search downward.

Thanks.

Bonne journée,
--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C