[gsharp-devel] web page

Robert STRANDH strandh at labri.fr
Mon Feb 23 16:52:03 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes writes:
 > Robert STRANDH <strandh at labri.fr> writes:
 >
 > > We have a web page:
 > >
 > >    http://www.common-lisp.net/project/gsharp/
 > >
 > > Comments are welcome.
 >
 > One comment is that, despite the "Valid XHTML 1.0
 > Strict" claim at the bottom of the page, it's not valid XHTML 1.0
 > Strict.

Now it is :-)

I took advantage of this update to include a paragraph on the licenses
according to which Gsharp is distributed.  At some point, I should add
headers in the files.  I do not want the clause "or any later
version...", simply because I am paranoid.  I fear that the FSF be
taken over by some evil force and that some version n of the GPL
contain clauses that makes it legal for the new FSF board to convert
all software to proprietary.  I therefore try always to use GPL
version 2 (if I remember correctly).

 > One thing that might be worthwhile is a bibliography, either on the
 > page or in the documentation, so that aspiring gsharp hackers can read
 > up on current best practice for engraving, at least.  I suppose it's
 > possible that there are useful links at one remove from projects such
 > as Lilypond, Common Lisp Music/Common Music Notation, and the like.
 > <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/bibliography/out-www/index.html>
 > might be a start.

That is a very good idea.  Several possibilities:

  1. Link to the one from Lilypond
  2. Steal the one from Lilypond
  3. Write our own

1 and 2 are much less work than 3.  Also, if we do 3, it does not seem
right (this might be my scientific upbringing) to include references
that nobody on the Gsharp project has read.  At the moment, it would
therefore be fairly short (Ross, the CMJ Lime reference, and a few
others as far as I am concerned).  On the other hand, we might include
references to CLIM and Common Lisp.

Compromise solution: write our own containing only what someone has
actually read, and also link to the one from Lilypond.

Opinions?

Also, I would like to write it in something like Bibtex and convert it
to HTML.

 > (On the subject of web presence, people may be interested in
 > <http://www.advogato.org/person/crhodes/diary.html?start=69>, and in
 > particular the before/after screenshots, and the description of the
 > use of the keyboard macro.)

Looks good (glad you liked my new feature).  Shall we put it on the
web site?

Now we need numeric arguments.  Some thoughts should be given to how
Gsharp commands (in the CLIM sense) react to numeric arguments before
an ad-hoc solution is implemented.  My hunch is that
define-gsharp-command should be modified to accept things like
(:numarg :repeat), (:numarg :pass), etc. corresponding to different
ways Emacs handles numeric arguments.

--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C